Pages

Tuesday 21 January 2014

Linnets on the move

A cracking sunrise behind Edinburgh Castle this morning, and some new year ticks for the 45 minutes time invested. A couple of groups of Linnets making their way north. Quite earl, I think, although I'd have to check. Two early Fulmars also on the scene, although maybe the mild weather and slight easterlies contributed to those. Very few Great Crested Grebe today. Are they moving to breeding areas already? Also some Pinkies south in several groups, but maybe just feeding parties. Nearby, a Firecrest has been seen in Dalgety Bay for the last three days and Smew are around at Lochore and Lochgelly, where there were 3 yesterday. Such is my disinclination to twitch these days that I haven't seen any of these, despite having actually been for a walk at Lochore Meadows. I was more excited yesterday to find my first Pygmy Woodlouse at Cullaloe. If it was new to me, I'd still go for it though.

Inverkeithing count now stands at 50 for the year, which is about in line with expectations - previous two years 51 and 58 respectively. It's also worth noting that in the last two years I haven't recorded anything "interesting" in January.







No comments:

Post a Comment